Hi, Welcome to my blog, enjoy reading.
RSS

Friday, January 15, 2010

Shipra Bhalla Chowdhary...Poora Naam !


On 8th July 2008, I got married to the same guy I married on Jan 21, 2005…only now that its “official” and recognized by the Govt of India, and anyone else who cares,
Manish and I registered our marriage. I know for time enough that this is an important document, one of those irritating ones that you spend far greater amount of time obtaining proofs/documents etc, than the time it takes to actually do the act. The husband would never move a whisker on such trivial, secretarial “collection of documents”. So it was left to poor me for get the photocopies and the now-virtually-extinct gazetted officer to certify….
The hard work paid off, and 8th July I became Shipra Bhalla Chowdhary, poora naam !

Love this line from one of my all time favorite AB movies, Agneepath…Vijay Dinanath Chauhan, poora naam.

I insist on SBC as my full formal name. I have been Shipra Bhalla for 26 years of my life, and have been a proud one. I am equally proud on being a Chowdhary. Except that I would still like to maintain my maiden name as my middle name. Its fashionable, and sentimental and importantly is the total ME.
It has been part of my identity, and even professionally it makes lot of sense. Manish doesn’t quite get it. I am not sure if he gets offended, or its just plain MCP. In any case, he doesn’t stop me from doing this which is fine, and convenient. My children would never be a Bhalla, they would always be Chowdhary, which is what I would want them to be anyway.
Its just me…from birth to grave, I want all of me to be me. It reminds me of my roots, the love and sacrifice of my parents for me, for the complete individual that I was when I was growing from little girl to woman. It was me before the politics of professional life, and trials and triumphs of marital life did their bit to change my personality, evolve my thinking and guarded my steps.
Shipra Bhalla grew into Shipra Chowdhary….happily….well done….Bhalla was somewhere in the middle…and that’s where I am keeping it.
Its not some feminist, bra-burning exercise. Its just important for me to keep remembering what I am made of.

SBC, I am fondly called in office….Shipra Bhalla Chowdhary…poora naam.

1 comments:

Pali said...

Gosh, remember that discussion we ALL had at sals place a few years back, where all guys said -they just didn't get the middle name thing and the girls insisted upon it !!

My conclusion was - what's in a name - I got 13 of them anyways ;-)

I like your layout !! and the graphics !!